After a tumultuous period that began in February 2020, you, our guests and travel companions have had your wings clipped (figuratively speaking of course!) and are no longer permitted or able to travel to your favourite African safari destinations.
We have all found not being able to get to Africa to be nearly excruciating! However, there is a ray of hope on the horizon. We anticipate that the ability to get to Africa for an African safari will start to happen in the second half of next year. There is extraordinary pent-up demand as travellers around the world start to rethink their type of travel and travel destination. Open spaces and wilderness, with few people, is what we anticipate will be in demand. Already many of our suppliers are fully booked for parts of 2022, in anticipation. The pressure has been building for a while now!
The following is our assessment of the situation:
- Covid-19 vaccinations are now being rolled out in New Zealand and all of our African destinations.
- All travellers will almost certainly be required to obtain a Covid-19 vaccination by airlines and African countries. This is similar to the requirement for yellow fever vaccine before entering some African countries.
- We do not yet know what rules would be in place. For example, quarantine upon return, but we feel they will be fair and reasonable for New Zealanders.
- Travel to Africa will almost certainly be available in late 2022.
- As travel to Africa has been postponed from 2020 to 2021 and now to 2022, many lodges and camps will be fully occupied.
- Because Covid-19 will always exist, we must adjust to new travel restrictions in order to be safe.
- Right now, Africa is open to international visitors, and there are excellent Covid protocols in place.
So, how should you respond to the situation?
We know Africa intimately. We have long-standing relationships with all our suppliers, so we can give you the best information on where to go, when to go, how to go, with whom, and at what cost.
These long-standing supplier relationships allow us to be able to provide flexible Terms and Conditions for new safari bookings. Our suppliers are now offering refundable deposits in the event of Covid-19 affected travel; including Government imposed restrictions and closures.
As previously said, we anticipate a surge in bookings once international border restrictions are relaxed. This will place pressure on the availability of lodges, camps and safaris.
Pre-covid, most of our guests booked their safaris anywhere between 9 months and 18 months out from travel.
If you are thinking that Africa might be on your bucket list for 2022 or 2023, now is the time to start planning. This will put you well ahead of the late comers and ensure that you have a choice.
Feel free to contact us to discuss your needs and ideas. We can guide you along the best and most appropriate path.